Latest Headlines — Development Channel
- Govt won’t intervene in oil price daily revision
Oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan said that the government will not intervene to change the policy of daily revision in petrol and diesel prices despite Rs7.3 per litre spike in rates since July.
2. MP teacher suspended for open defecation
The education authorities of Ashoknagar district in Madhya Pradesh suspended a government primary school teacher for allegedly defecating in the open.
3. Suu Kyi not to attend UN conference
While she is facing international criticism over the treatment of Rohingyas, Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi announced she will not attend the United Nations General Assembly this week.
4. Marvel new superhero inspired by Chibok girls
Marvel Comics will have a new superhero Ngozi, a teenage girl, inspired by Nigeria’s kidnapped Chibok girls who were abducted by Boko Haram. Read more
5. India- Japan to explore new avenues of cooperation
While Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe arrived at Ahmedabad for a two day visit, many new areas of cooperation between the two countries are on cards. Read more.
6. Haryana to install one lakh solar pumps for irrigation
Haryana government has decided to install over 1,00,000 solar water pumps for irrigation across the state, out of which 25,000 will be installed next year. Read more
7. 30 crore families got JDY accounts
30 crore families have got bank accounts since the launch of Jan Dhan Yojana three years back, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said.
8. Smartcards reduces leakages in social security schemes
A new study of smartcard based payments for social security schemes in India has revealed that they “substantially improved the payment process by reducing payment delays and unpredictability.” Read more.
9. Time to say ‘good bye, Cassini’
The Cassini space mission, one of the major inter-planetary missions by humans, is to end on September 15, when the spacecraft plunges into Saturn. Read more
10. Illegal miners allegedly massacred isolated tribe members in Amazon
Brazilian authorities have started investigating reports that illegal gold miners in the Amazon forest massacred over 10 members of an isolated tribe. Read more